Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
In my family we like to eat these with thick cut Canadian bacon and applesauce.
- 1 cup raw potatoes, peeled and grated coarse
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter or 1⁄4 cup bacon fat
- Wrap the grated potatoes in a tea towel and squeeze out as much excess moisture as possible by wringing the towel over a bowl (wait a few minutes for the starch to settle in the bowl and then pour off the water, leaving the starch behind).
- Blend the grated potato with the mashed potato, add the starch left behind in the bowl.
- Add the salt, soda and flour to the potatoes and mix well.
- Add the melted butter or bacon fat and as much milk as is necessary to make a batter of dropping consistency.
- Season with pepper.
- Lightly butter (or use bacon fat) a griddle or heavy pan and heat over moderate heat.
- Drop potato batter in tablespoonfuls into pan and cook until crispy and golden on both sides.