Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 mins
This recipe is from Mrs. Rudolph Hellwege and Mrs. Otto Hemmann, from the cookbook "Heritage of Cooking" A Collection of Recipes from East Perry County, Missouri. To find out more about this cookbook read the description from the first recipe I posted from it Bier Suppe (Beer Soup)
- 2 -3 cups raw potatoes (finely grated)
- 2 eggs (well beaten)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 -2 tablespoon onion (grated)
- Mix all ingredients and drop by tablespoonsful onto well greased griddle or skillet.
- Bake about 3 minutes on each side, or until brown.
- Make them thin.
- We like to serve them with fried spring chicken or young squirrels.
These Potato Pancakes are great. My Husband would eat them everyday. I have been making them like this for years, 55 years as that is how long we have been married. Sometimes I don't add the onions, they are great without them. We like them with just butter on them or with applesauce.
This recipe is quick and simple. Works equally well if you shred potatoes 'Rosti' style, instead of finely grating. Gives a more interesting texture. Great when served Swiss style, with rabbit or game.
Great Potato Pancake Recipe. Similar to te one I use. If you add a pinch of nutmeg and corriander it really "Kicks it up a notch" Chef Gerard