Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Falling Cloudberries by Tessa Kiros. They don't look especially quick and easy to make but I think would be lovely served when you know you've got company coming for dinner. Not yet tried (so times are estimated) but look yummy!
- 500 g potatoes (peeled and halved)
- 125 ml single cream
- 50 g plain flour
- grated nutmeg
- 3 eggs (separated)
- butter (for frying)
- olive oil (for frying)
- Boil the potatoes for approximately 15 mins until soft.
- Mash / pass them through a food mill and stir in the cream.
- Add the flour, nutmeg and some pepper. Mix well and leave to cool a little.
- Lightly whisk the egg yolks and whisk into the cooled potatoes. Whip up the egg whites to soft peaks and fold into the potato batter.
- Add some salt if necessary.
- Melt a little butter and oil in a frying pan over a medium heat.
- Once hot, drop in spoonfulls of the batter and cook for 1-2 mins each side until golden.
These were pretty good. I served these with fresh grated parmesan cheese and creme fresh. Were a good side to the poached Salmon I made this evening. Next time I think I'll add some kosher salt and pepper to them, to give them better seasoning. But besides being a little too bland for my personal taste, they have great potential concept wise to add your favorite herbs and seasonings to.