Prep 40 mins
Cook 22 mins
I got this recipe from Taste of Homes 2001 Holiday edition and they easily became our favorite! Time does not include the doubling since it can vary. Mashed potatoes can be made ahead to save time. Although I've seen similar recipes here, this one has varied amounts of ingredients and no chilling time.
- 4 1⁄2-5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages fast rise yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup mashed potatoes (prepared without milk or butter)
- additional all-purpose flour
- In mixing bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt.
- In saucepan, heat water and butter to 120*-130*.
- Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth.
- Stir in mashed potatoes and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (about 6-8 minutes).
- Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide into 16 pieces and shape each into a ball.
- Place in two greased 8 or 9 inch baking pans.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about an hour.
- Sprinkle with additional flour (optional).
- Bake at 400* for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
These turned out great! I wanted something a little quicker than the traditional potato roll dough recipe, this didn't disappoint! I rubbed a little butter on top after they were finished baking and sprinkled with a bit of sea salt, oregano & garlic powder to accompany our spaghetti dinner tonight. This was a perfect use for leftover instant buttery mashed potatoes (made with water). Thanks for sharing!
Marlene,These rolls are delicious,with very little effort,been testing rolls for Thanksgiving.Thank you for a wonderful recipe.Rose
Beautiful rolls! We LOVED it! Quick to make as well without the initial rising. I had the heater on in my kitchen so it had doubled in size within 50 mins. I too sprinkled a bit of flour on top. Everybody enjoyed it! Thank you, Marlene, for sharing this wonderful recipe, definitely will be making this again!