Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 mins
When these crunchy Russian potato dumplings are split open a tasty cheese and chive filling is revealed.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled
- 2 2⁄3 cups mashed potatoes, leftovers are good
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
- oil, for frying
- Coarsely grate the raw potatoes and squeeze out as much water as possible. Put them in a bowl with the mashed potatoes, salt and pepper. Mix together.
- In another bowl, mix the cottage cheese and chives together.
- Using a spoon and your fingers scoop up a portion of the potato mixture, slightly smaller then an egg and flatten into a circle.
- Put 1 teaspoon of the cheese filling in the middle; fold over the edges and pinch to seal.
- Repeat with remaining potato and cheese mixtures; makes about 12 dumplings.
- Heat the oil to 340 degrees Fahrenheit in a deep fat fryer.
- Fry for 10 minutes or until deep brown and crisp.
- Drain and serve hot.
Do not follow this recipe as is. The pampushki will fall apart in the deep fat fryer. The recipe works fine if you pan fry the pampushki in a non-stick skillet. If you want to deep fry, you need to add an egg and some flour before coating the outside in plain breadcrumbs.