Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A fabulous twist to scalloped potatoes, this is the only way I like tomatoes hot - I'm referring to the temperature!
- 4 large potatoes, peeled & thinly sliced
- 2 small tomatoes, peeled & thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 30 g butter, cut into thin pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Layer potato, tomato& onion in a greased, ovenproof baking dish, finishing with a potato layer.
- Dot each layer with pieces of butter and season with salt& pepper to taste.
- Combine milk, cream& stock and pour over potato mixture.
- Top with cheese.
- Dot with any remaining butter.
- Bake in preheated 350F oven for 1 hour or until potato is tender& golden brown.
Love potato/vegie bakes but have never done one with tomato until now and we loved it. Did have one :oops: moment the bake was half way through cooking and I realized I had now put the cheese on so whipped it out and then back into the 175C fan forced oven and just had to finish it off under the grill/broiler to colour it up a bit. I scaled back to 3 serves and did it in an 8x8 pan and very generous serves, if serving other sides I could stretch it to 4, thank you Country Lady made for Healthy Choices 2013.
Thanks for a great potato dish for a cold night! I halved the recipe and must have taken out too much liquid, so next time I will watch that more carefully.
I prepared this in the am then cooked it when needed. Very easy to do and very tasty. I did find, however, that it did not need as much liquid. I'd cut the liquid almost in half next time