Recipe by spatchcock
The nutmeg makes this extra-special. Great comfort food for freezing-cold winter days.
Top Review by gdlehman
Delicious! I love simplicity. And I appreciate the fact that I didn't need a broth. Sorry, I didn't use any nutmeg. That spice is just not up my alley. Tasty enough for me and my kids that I would make it again and again.
- 4 onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb potato, peeled and cut into even-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons pure vegetable margarine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- grated nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Put a quarter of the onions into a large saucepan with the potatoes and 4 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and let cook until the potatoes are completely tender.
- Meanwhile melt the butter or margarine and oil in another saucepan, put in the remaining onions, cover, and cook gently for about 15 minutes, or until they are very soft.
- Puree the potato mixture in a blender or food processor, then return it to the saucepan.
- Add the onions to the saucepan, together with their buttery juices.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and nutmeg, reheat gently, and serve.