Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A fancy way to start off breakfast.
- vegetable oil
- 1 cup grated baked potato
- 2 tablespoons grated red onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Creamed Spinach and Egg Filling
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup grated asiago cheese or 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb fresh spinach, steamed, chopped and squeezed dry
- 2 eggs, poached
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Oil two 1-cup ramekins or custard cups.
- Mix the potato, onion and salt together: divide between the ramekins and press into the sides and bottoms, forming a lining 1/2-inch thick.
- Brush lightly with oil. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until tightly browned and crisp. Let cool.
- Creamed Spinach and Egg Filling:.
- In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour.
- When bubbling, reduce heat to low and cook 3 minutes. Whisk in milk; simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add cheese, mustard, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir in spinach. Divide between nests.
- Top with poached egg.