Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a hearty Spanish-style omelet that is finished under the broiler and cut into wedges to serve. Originally from an October 1983 issue of Bon Apetit that featured brunch recipes.You can substitute drained roasted red peppers packed in brine, also known as whole pimentos, for the red peppers, if desired.
- 3 -4 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 6 large red bell peppers
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, minced
- 10 eggs, beaten to blend with
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Soak potato slices in several changes of cold water until water remains clear.
- Char peppers over gas flame or under broiler, turning until skins blister and blacken. Place in plastic bag and let steam 10 minutes.
- Rinse if necessary, pat dry, and peel off skins and remove seeds. Cut into 1 inch squares.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large broiler proof slope-sided skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until pale golden brown, stirring frequently, 10 to 15 minutes;transfer to plate.
- Heat another 2 tablespoons olive oil in same skillet.
- Drain potatoes and pat dry with paper towels.
- Add to skillet, cover partially, and cook until tender and pale golden brown, turning frequently, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to plate with onions.
- Wipe skillet clean. Heat remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add peppers, onions, potatoes and parsley to skillet and cook just until heated through.
- Pour eggs over, poking holes and tilting pan to allow eggs to run underneath and flow to edges to form crust; do not stir.
- Shake pan, cover and cook until eggs are almost set, about 6 minutes; do not overcook.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler.
- Uncover skillet and broil mixture 5 to 6 inches from source of heat until eggs are completely set and golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Slide omelet onto flat platter; cool slightly.
- Cut omelet into 8 wedges and serve warm.