Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Use only low starch, waxy potatoes as all others will become mealy. And a low sulphur sweet onion like Walla Wall, Vidalia or Maui works great. The crust is crisp and cheesy and the center is tender and buttery without being overly rich. It makes a wonderful lunch or dinner served with a side salad.
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 12 springs fresh thyme
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced into 1/4 inch slices (it's best to cut them slightly thicker)
- 3⁄4-1 lb waxy potato, peeled and sliced (low starch potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup gruyere, grated
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt the butter in a 9-10 inch frying pan (cast iron works great) over medium heat. Add the thyme and onion and cook for 5 minutes. Place the potato, oil, Gruyere, mozzarella and salt and pepper in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Top the onion with the potato mixture and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Turn upside down on a large plate to serve.