Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great for a leisurely brunch.
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 medium potatoes
- 1⁄2 onion, minced
- 3⁄4 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons shallots (white parts only)
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 egg yolks, beaten to blend
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 5 ounces cooked frozen artichoke hearts, quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 6 hot poached eggs
- For nests: Preheat oven to 410F.
- Butter 6 ramekins or muffin tins using ½ tblsp butter per ramekin.
- Peel potatoes and coarsely grate into bowl of cold water.
- Drain potatoes and dry thoroughly.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Mix in onions, cheese and nutmeg.
- Season to taste.
- Press into prepared cups, forming indentation in the middle.
- Bake until edges of nests are brown, about 45 minutes.
- Prepare filling: Melt 1 tblsp butter in medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and saute until liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan using slotted spoon.
- Add Sherry and boil until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in half and half and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add some of sauce to yolks, in a thin stream and whisking all the while, to temper the yolks.
- Slowly whisk the yolk mixture back into sauce.
- Return mushrooms and shallots to skillet.
- Stir in ham and artichoke hearts and cook until warmed through.
- Season and mix in parsley.
- Remove nests from oven.
- Cool 5 minutes.
- Spoon filling into each.
- Top each with poached egg.
- Serve immediately.