Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A delicious side dish which I've adapted from a recipe I found on an English website and which I am posting for the 2005 Zaar World Tour. Because I was expecting a cheese topping, this recipe had me looking up "gratin" in culinary dictionaries. What I found for "gratin" was "covered with bread crumbs and sometimes butter and grated cheese, and then browned in an oven". Something else I've learnt since this tour began. For me, "gratin" has always evoked images of either a cheese sauce or a cheese topping. Obviously topping this dish with grated cheese is an option, but the dish would be healthier without the cheese! Again, exercise your culinary discretion!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 3 medium baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 225 g mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F/220°C/Gas 7.
- Coat a 9-inch square casserole or baking dish with olive oil, and lay the rosemary sprig on the bottom.
- Layer half of the potato slices over the bottom of the dish and top with half of the sliced mushrooms, half of the garlic, half of the thyme and half of the walnuts; and sprinkle generously with the olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Top with the remaining potatoes, then scatter the remaining mushrooms, garlic, thyme and walnuts over the top of the mixture, and sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake, uncovered, until the top is golden and crusty, about 1 hour.
- Serve hot.
Yup, this is yummy! My walnuts were starting to burn at about 15 minutes left, so I covered it all with tin foil and all was fine. This has a nice combo of ingreds., tastes great and I will be very happy to make it again. Thanks!
This is such a unique and tasty dish! I had some finely ground walnuts I needed to use up so I used those. The walnuts may not be for everyone, but I think they give this dish great flavor. The potatoes and the mushrooms turned out nice and crispy, which I liked. Thanks for sharing! Made for the Gimme 5 recipe tag game.
This was really good. My daughter and I love mushrooms and potatoes and this was great. My mushrooms were a tad dry as well but still tasted great, next time I may cover it for the last 15 mins or so of cooking. I may also add a bit more garlic. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the crispiness of the potatoes!! This was a well loved recipe thanks for posting!!