Recipe by Latchy
This is a good vegetarian recipe given to me by Vicki. Cook and prep time does not take in the standing time in the refrigerator.
Top Review by ladypit
These are excellent! I used green lentils and veggie parmesean (because I had some to use up) but otherwise followed the burger recipe exactly. My husband made up a chilie cream (we had no chili sauce) and it went really well with it. I thought they were very much like crab cakes (minus the crab of course). I was astounded at how well not only the different flavors but the different textures worked together. These were by far the best veggie burgers I have ever made.
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, about
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup stale breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup packaged breadcrumbs
- oil, of your choice for shallow frying
- 6 hamburger buns
- 150 g snow pea sprouts
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Add lentils to pan of boiling water, boil uncovered for about 10 minutes until cooked, drain.
- Heat olive oil in pan and add onions garlic and nuts and stir until onions are soft and the nuts are lightly browned.
- Combine lentils, potato and lentil mixture.
- basil, mustard, cheese, egg yolk and stale breadcrumbs in bowl and mix well.
- Shape mixture into 6 patties, toss in packaged breadcrumbs.
- Put in the refrigerator for about 1 hour until they are firm.
- Shallow fry the patties in hot oil until browned on each side and heated through.
- Serve the patties on toasted buns with sprouts and chilli cream.
- Chilli cream: Mix ingredients well.