Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my favorite variation of potato leek soup. It's a bit elaborate, especially with the garnishes, but can easily be toned down. The steps to make the potato croutons to garnish are at the end. Also note that if you let potato-leek soup stand, it will thicken considerably. When you reheat it, just thin it out with milk.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs leeks
- 4 medium potatoes
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 -3 large garlic cloves
- 2 -3 spicy sausage links
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 1⁄2 cups light vegetable stock or 5 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- ground coriander
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- mild shredded cheese
- fresh finely chopped parsley, and
- sharp cheddar cheese or gouda cheese
potato crouton (see below)
- 1 -2 potato
- cayenne pepper
- vegetable oil
- Cube the potatoes, and finely chop the leeks and celery. Mince the garlic. Cut the sausage into small pieces.
- Melt 2 TBSP of the butter in your soup pot on low heat. First, add the garlic, cooking until fragrant.
- Add the meat, cooking, but not browning. Then add the rest of the butter.
- Add the vegetables and cook on low for about 10 minutes while stirring frequently. The butter should be absorbed, but the vegetables should not brown.
- Add about three quarters of the stock (until the stock level just covers the vegetables), and simmer until everything is tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- In a blender in a few batches, flash-puree the soup (you may need to use a second pot to pour the pureed soup into), and return it all to the pot. Add more stock to adjust the consistency if you need to.
- Add the cream and small handful of mild cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Then gradually add a few dashes of coriander until it tastes right.
- To make the potato croutons for garnishing, use 1 or 2 potatoes, cut to small cubes, seasoned with lots of paprika and some cayenne pepper and salt, and fry in a generous amount of vegetable oil until crisp.
- Serve in shallow soup bowls. Put the shredded or chunks of sharp cheese on top, along with a large spoonful of the parsley-scallion mix and the potato croutons. Stir up and enjoy!