Recipe by AmyZoe
To make this vichyssoise add the cream. This is a simple, elegant, and delicious soup. Recipe courtesy of The Joy of Cooking. Serving size is estimated. You can serve hot or cold, but be sure to process the soup to its velvety smoothness.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 medium leeks, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 lbs potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 cups water or 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups vegetable stock
- white pepper or black pepper
- additional stock or water
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream (if making vichyssoise) or 1 cup whipping cream (if making vichyssoise)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a sauce pot over low heat.
- Add the leeks and cook, stirring, until tender but not browned, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes or stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce, and simmer until the potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Puree until smooth.
- For a finer texture , push through a sieve.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Thin if necessary with additional stock or water.
- If making vichyssoise, add the heavy cream or a combination of milk and cream.
- Reheat gently or chill and serve cold.
- Garnish with snipped chives.