1 hr 20 mins
To make this vichyssoise add the cream. This is a simple, elegant, and delicious soup. Recipe courtesy of The Joy of Cooking. Serving size is estimated. You can serve hot or cold, but be sure to process the soup to its velvety smoothness.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 medium leeks, chopped
- 1 1/4 lbs potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 cups water or 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups vegetable stock
- white pepper or black pepper
- additional stock or water
- 1/2 cup whipping cream (if making vichyssoise) or 1 cup whipping cream (if making vichyssoise)
- 1Melt butter in a sauce pot over low heat.
- 2Add the leeks and cook, stirring, until tender but not browned, about 20 minutes.
- 3Stir in potatoes or stock.
- 4Bring to a boil, reduce, and simmer until the potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes.
- 5Puree until smooth.
- 6For a finer texture , push through a sieve.
- 7Season with salt and pepper.
- 8Thin if necessary with additional stock or water.
- 9If making vichyssoise, add the heavy cream or a combination of milk and cream.
- 10Reheat gently or chill and serve cold.
- 11Garnish with snipped chives.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Leek Soup (Vichyssoise)
Serving Size: 1 (336 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 184.8
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 31.8 mg
- Sodium 29.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 2.7 g