Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
St. James's Gate is the "Guinness Brewery" in Dublin, Ireland. "Guinness Black Lager" enhances a Rustic Flavor into the Potato Leek soup.
- 12 ounces lager beer (Guinness Black Lager)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups leeks (Chopped)
- 1 cup carrot (Chopped)
- 1 cup celery root (Chopped)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (Chopped)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (Chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram (Chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh chives (Chopped)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes (Chopped)
- 2 cups heavy cream (Tempered)
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- Open Black Lager and let it come to room temperature.
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven melt butter. Add bay leaves, leeks, carrots, celery root and garlic. Season with salt and white pepper. Saute vegetables 3-4 minutes. Add thyme, marjoram and 3-tablespoons chives.
- Add Guinness Black Lager, chicken stock and potatoes. Bring to a full boil and reduce to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Wisk in heavy cream, nutmeg, bring to a full boil. Stir to prevent cream from burning. Reduce to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and puree soup using a hand blender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve soup in warm bowls.
- Garnish with fresh chopped chives.