Nancy Van Ess's Note:
This recipe was sent to me by Jill McQuown and is one of my favorite soups.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 loaf white bread or 4 loaf sourdough bread, unsliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 59.16 ml olive oil
- 1Cut tops form bread about 3/4" thick to make "lids".
- 2Using a sharp knife, cut around inside of loaf leaving 3/4" edge for the "bowl".
- 3Hollow out the center.
- 4(Reserve removed bread to make croutons, breadcrumbs, etc.) Rub the inside of the bread b owls and "lids" with garlic and brush with olive oil.
- 5Bake lids and bowls on cookie sheet at 350 degrees until slightly toasted.
- 6Serve soup in bowls.
- 7In large pot, combine potatoes, leeks, chicken broth, salt and pepper.
- 8Bring to a boil.
- 9Reduce heat to low.
- 10Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 11Strain soup into another pan.
- 12Place cooked potatoes and leeks in blender or food processor with about 1/4 cup broth and process until smooth; return to pan.
- 13Stir in cream and nutmeg.
- 14Spoon into hot prepared bread bowls.
- 15Sprinkle with parsley.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Leek Soup in Bread Bowls
Serving Size: 1 (904 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1446.8
- Calories from Fat 305
- Total Fat 33.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 3109.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 243.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.6 g
- Sugars 21.1 g
- Protein 40.4 g