Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe was sent to me by Jill McQuown and is one of my favorite soups.
Make and share this Potato Leek Soup in Bread Bowls recipe from Food.com.
- 4 loaves white bread or 4 loaves sourdough bread, unsliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 large leeks, thinly sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 dash nutmeg, grated
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- Cut tops form bread about 3/4" thick to make "lids".
- Using a sharp knife, cut around inside of loaf leaving 3/4" edge for the "bowl".
- Hollow out the center.
- (Reserve removed bread to make croutons, breadcrumbs, etc.) Rub the inside of the bread b owls and "lids" with garlic and brush with olive oil.
- Bake lids and bowls on cookie sheet at 350 degrees until slightly toasted.
- Serve soup in bowls.
- In large pot, combine potatoes, leeks, chicken broth, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Strain soup into another pan.
- Place cooked potatoes and leeks in blender or food processor with about 1/4 cup broth and process until smooth; return to pan.
- Stir in cream and nutmeg.
- Spoon into hot prepared bread bowls.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
This soup is easy and quick to make. Including peeling and chopping all the veggies, and letting it simmer for 20 mins. it only took about 45 mins. from start to finish.
I skipped the bread bowls and used fresh italian parsley, a little rosemary and thyme, and it was great. Left it chunky too.
Fantastic! Delicious and wonderful. Beautiful blend of tastes. Bravo Nancy!