Recipe by Shandobando
This has been a family favorite for years. I used to make a big pot and my friends would all come over for a bowl!
Top Review by lpyper
I needed a recipe to use up my leeks in the fridge and thought because it was cold that I should make a nice soup. Came across this recipe and tried it. OMG I have to rate this one a five. It had a nice taste and was wonderful. Thanks for posting. I will be making this one again.
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 2 medium leeks or 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 3 cups milk
- 5 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seeds or 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt (don’t worry if you have neither)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup light cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh chives
- 6 slices lean bacon, crisply fried and chopped or crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 6 to 8 quart stockpot melt the butter and gently cook the leeks or onions, being careful not to let the leek or onion brown.
- Add the peeled and sliced potatoes, the milk, the stock,& the herbs.
- Cover and simmer gently for about an hour or until potatoes are completely cooked through.
- Stir together cornstarch and water.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add to soup, stirring constantly to avoid lumping.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes more, stirring occasionally, then puree the soup.
- Add the cream and gently heat, but do not boil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with garnishes.