Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mom used to make this soup for me. I try to make it once a year or so.
Make and share this Potato Leek Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced and washed leeks
- 5 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
- 1 1⁄3 cups carrots
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup butter, divided
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- In a large stock pot satue leeks in 1/4 cup butter until tender. Add potatoes, carrots, 1 tsp salt, and water. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan melt remaining butter. Add flour, pepper and remaining salt. Cook until smooth and bubbly. Gradually whisk in milk and bouillon and cook until thick.
- Stir milk mixture into vegetables and simmer until cooked through.
Not a thick creamy soup but good nonetheless but I'll definitely cut back on the butter next time. I used my immersion blender on the leftovers the following day which gave me the creaminess I always associate with potato soups. Made for PAC, Fall '09.