Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
I made this for my lunch today. I had purchased leeks and potatoes just for this soup. I love it either hot or cold, it tastes great both ways. You can taste the layers of flavours in this soup which makes it so good.
Top Review by Kayarich
Easy to make, and very yummy and creamy eventhough it doesn't have cream in it. I didn't have to add much salt at all. Also didn't have lime on hand. Not sure what to do with the lemons, do I squeeze it in the soup?
- 2 tablespoons scallions (just the tops)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 4 leeks (white and light green parts well cleaned and chopped)
- 4 yukon gold potatoes (chopped in 1-inch cubes)
- 8 cups soup broth (veggie or chicken works well)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (or lime)
- 8 lemon slices (or lime slices, seeded and cut thin)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 6 quart sauce pot heat the vegetable oil and saute the onion over med. low heat until golden. About 20-25 minutes. Stir it occasionally.
- Add the leeks, potatoes and 8 cups of the broth and the ground ginger. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Take off the heat and cool for a few minutes.
- With a hand immersion puree the whole thing in the pot.
- Add the salt and pepper. Taste to adjust seasonsings.
- Add the lime juice.
- At this point you can eat this soup or let it chill in the fridge.
- Garnish each bowl of soup with a lemon slice and sprinkle some scallion over the soup.
- Serve with crusty bread if you wish.
- Bon Appetit!