I made this for my lunch today. I had purchased leeks and potatoes just for this soup. I love it either hot or cold, it tastes great both ways. You can taste the layers of flavours in this soup which makes it so good.
- 2 tablespoons scallions (just the tops)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 4 leeks (white and light green parts well cleaned and chopped)
- 4 yukon gold potatoes (chopped in 1-inch cubes)
- 8 cups soup broth (veggie or chicken works well)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (or lime)
- 8 lemon slices (or lime slices, seeded and cut thin)
- In a 6 quart sauce pot heat the vegetable oil and saute the onion over med. low heat until golden. About 20-25 minutes. Stir it occasionally.
- Add the leeks, potatoes and 8 cups of the broth and the ground ginger. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Take off the heat and cool for a few minutes.
- With a hand immersion puree the whole thing in the pot.
- Add the salt and pepper. Taste to adjust seasonsings.
- Add the lime juice.
- At this point you can eat this soup or let it chill in the fridge.
- Garnish each bowl of soup with a lemon slice and sprinkle some scallion over the soup.
- Serve with crusty bread if you wish.
- Bon Appetit!