Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Be sure to clean the leeks well under running water; there is usually sand between the layers.
- 4 medium leeks, white part only, washed well and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 -6 cups vegetable broth or 4 -6 cups chicken broth or 4 -6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- French bread, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the leeks and potatoes to a slow cooker; add enough broth to just cover them.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5-7 hours or until the potatoes are tender.
- Puree the soup with a handheld immersion blender or transfer to a food processor or blender and puree in batches.
- Add in the salt and butter, swirling until it is melted.
- Ladle the hot soup into bowls and serve immediately with French bread.
- *Pea and Watercress Potato-Leek Soup—follow the recipe as directed; one hour before the soup is done, add the leaves and tender stems of 1 bunch of watercress and 1 twelve ounce package frozen petite peas that have been thawed to the crock and cover; when done, puree the soup and serve immediately.