Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
An earthy, delicious soup that's very easy to make. This is a recipe that originally came from The Enchanted Broccoli Forest that I modified to include mushrooms and less milk. For the stock, I prefer to use Basic Light Vegetable Stock, Basic Light Vegetable Stock. Enjoy!!
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 473.18 ml leeks, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 226.79 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 59.16 ml butter
- 3.69 ml salt
- 473.18 ml vegetable stock (or water)
- 473.18 ml milk
- 4.92 ml thyme (optional)
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1. Place potatoes, leeks, celery, carrots, mushrooms, butter, and salt in a pot, and cook over medium heat, stirring until the butter is melted and the vegetables are coated.
- 2. Add vegetable stock, bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the potaotes are tender (20-30 minutes).
- 3. When the potatoes are tender, remove the pan from the heat and puree it's contents with the milk, using an immersion blender, or food processor. Make sure the mixture is absolutely smooth.
- 4. Return to pot, add thyme, if using, and pepper. Check if you need more salt. Heat soup gently, until just hot, and serve.
Yum. I used 1 med potato & a large sweet potato. Due to that change I left out the carrot so the finished product wouldn't be too sweet. Would work well with pumpkin.
Absolutely the best! So easy and fast to make. My husband, who insists on huge portions of meat for dinner every night, said this soup would be wonderful on its own for dinner. That is no faint praise, believe me. I didn't tweek anything at all, I followed the recipe to the letter.
This is truly wonderful Kat, I'm so glad that I happened upon it. This isn't your usual potato leek soup, it has much more depth of flavor that is rich without relying on fat or cream. I used skim milk and the taste held up beautifully to that thinning element. I made it this morning for serving tonight and I can't wait. I honestly think this would be a great summer soup served chilled as well as hot. Another outstanding recipe from this chef. :D