Top Review by papergoddess
YUM! I can't decide if this is a mushroom soup with potatoes, or a potatoe soup with mushrooms. My local grocery does not have cremini mushrooms, so I used baby portobellos (I clicked on "cremini" and it said portobellos are the mature form of creminis, so a baby port should do). Anyway, I used an 8oz. box of sliced baby ports, and I used half-and-half. I chopped the potatoes with my pampered chef chopper, so they were fairly fine. After I simmered it, I decided to ship the puree step, because it looked so pretty with the mushroom slices floating in it! I added 2 tsp. of salt, which was perfect for my taste. Good Soup!
- 3 medium leeks, white part only, 1/4 inch slices
- 2 potatoes, 1/4 inch dice
- 10 -20 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 5 cups water or 5 cups stock
- 3 shallots, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter in large stock pot over low heat.
- Cook shallots and garlic until tender.
- Add potato and leeks- cook for 10 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Add stock or water, salt and pepper and bring to boil.
- Reduce to simmer, add mushrooms and continue for 15 minutes, or until potato is tender.
- Whiz with blender stick, or blender in batches (careful with hot in blender).
- Add cream or milk and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with my Spicy Croutons.