Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A Williams-Sonoma recipe!
- 73.94 ml unsalted butter
- 1814.36 g leeks, white and light green portions, rinsed well, cut into 1/4-inch rings
- 22.18 ml kosher salt
- 4.92 ml minced fresh thyme
- 1.23 ml freshly grated nutmeg
- 1.23 ml fresh ground pepper
- 236.59 ml heavy cream
- 170.09 g gruyere cheese, grated
- 85.04 g parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1360.77 g russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 44.37 ml minced fresh chives
- In 12" nonstick fry pan over medium heat, melt 4T. butter. Add leeks and salt, stirring to coat leeks with butter. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until leeks are tender, about 20 minutes. Add thyme, nutmeg, pepper and cream. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 15 minutes. Transfer to bowl; let cool. Wipe out pan; grease with 1T. butter.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In bowl, combine cheeses. Layer one-third of potatoes in fry pan. Spread one-third of leek mixture on top. Sprinkle with one-third of cheeses, then 1T. chives. Repeat layering 2 more times, reserving 1T. chives. Cover pan; transfer to oven. Bake 45 minutes. Remove lid; bake until potatoes are tender and crust is golden brown, about 30 minutes longer. Sprinkle remaining 1T. chives on top. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.