Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A perfect soup for a cold autumn or winter evening. It's savory, filling & easy on the pocketbook. Don't let the cabbage scare you away. It gives this soup texture and just a hint of flavor.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 leek, diced, can include the green part for color
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled & chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 lb bacon, cooked & crumbled or 1 lb Polish sausage, diced
- Combine chicken broth, potatoes, cabbage, leek, onion & carrots in a 4 qt slow cooker. If you are using polish sausage, also add at this time.
- Stir in salt, pepper, caraway seeds & bay leaf.
- Cover & cook on low 8-10 hours or 4-5 hours on high.
- Remove & discard bay leaf.
- Combine some liquid from slow cooker with sour cream in a small bowl.
- Add mixture to slow cooker; stir.
- If using bacon instead of polish sausage, stir in bacon.
This is different from any soup I've ever had. I chose to use bacon. Admittedly, I ended up not having any bay leaves to add. I felt like a little something was missing so maybe that was it. Different and nice way of having cabbage.