Recipe by Mims & Squims
Colorful, flavorful veggie soup made with young nettles. If you don't have nettles available, substitute spinach or another green.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups leeks (white and pale green portion chopped)
- 3 cups baking potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups nettles (loosely packed)
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 -3 tablespoons chives (chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- In soup pot, heat butter over low heat. Add leeks, cover and cook 10 minutes until tender.
- Add potatoes and 3 cups water. Cover pot and simmer 15 minutes, until tender.
- Add nettles & cook 5 minutes until tender & wilted (push under liquid). Blend in food processor until as smooth.
- Return nettles to pot and stir in half & half. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring soup back to high heat just short of boiling (do not boil).
- Stir in most of onions or chives.
- Transfer to individual bowls, sprinkle with remaining onions or chives & serve.