1 hr 30 mins
American in Paris's Note:
From the "Christmas with Southern Living 2001" cookbook. It is fabulous! Great for holiday dinners. The flavors of the fennel and leek are wonderful.Goes well with any meat. Everyone loves it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large fennel bulbs
- 2 leeks
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and THINLY sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 cups gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1Rinse and trim off stalks of fennel. Discard the hard outer covering. Slice off bottom of bulbs and remove the center core. Slice the bulb lengthwise into 1/4" slices.
- 2Remove outer covering from the leeks and trim off the dark green sections. Slice remaining into 1/4" slices.
- 3Sauté fennel and leek slices in butter over med-high heat about 5 minutes in a large skillet. Add 3/4 tsp salt and 1 tsp thyme cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- 4Combine potato slices, flour and 1/2 tsp salt in zip-top bag and shake to coat. Arrange half of these slices in a well buttered 13"x9" baking dish.
- 5Mix whipping cream and milk. Pour half of this mixture over potatoes in pan. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups of Gruyere cheese and 1 tsp of thyme. Spoon sautéed fennel/leeks over cheese and top with remaining potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese, 1 tsp thyme, and pepper.
- 6Bake, covered, at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until browned. Let stand 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato, Leek and Fennel Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 422.2
- Calories from Fat 227
- Total Fat 25.3 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 85.6 mg
- Sodium 580.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 16.7 g