Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A blend of leeks, cabbage, potatoes, carrots and herbs that is hearty, healthy and tasty...just right for a cold winter day.
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, chopped
- 4 leeks, trimmed, washed, sliced, white and light green parts
- 4 medium yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 -4 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- In a saucepan, saute the sliced leeks in butter for approximately 3-5 minutes, until softened. Add the cabbage, and continue to saute until the cabbage is tender. Add chicken stock, potatoes and and carrots, along with about 1 tsp parsley and 1/2-1 tsp thyme. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until all vegetables are soft.
- Using an immersion blender, partially puree the soup for a creamy texture, although I prefer to leave some larger pieces as well. Salt and pepper to taste. (For a more formal presentation, puree until completely smooth, swirl in creme fraiche, and add a topping of crispy frizzled leeks).