Wendys Kitchen's Note:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups finely chopped onions, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1For latkes:.
- 2Line colander with kitchen towel. Stir 1 1/2 cups onions, egg, salt, and pepper in large bowl. Place remaining 1/2 cup onions in processor; add potatoes. Blend until potatoes are very finely chopped and some of mixture is pureed; transfer to prepared colander. Wrap towel around potatoes, squeezing out as much liquid as possible. Scrape into bowl with egg mixture. Stir in all purpose flour and baking powder.
- 3Heat 4 tablespoons vegetable oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Drop potato mixture by scant 1/4 cupfuls into skillet; flatten each latke to 2 1/2-inch round with metal spatula. Reduce heat to medium. Cook until golden, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to large rimmed baking sheet. Repeat, adding more oil to skillet as needed. DO AHEAD: Latkes can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
- 4Preheat oven to 425°F Bake latkes until crisp and deep brown, about 6 minutes per side.
- 5For salad:.
- 6Whisk oil, vinegar, and dry mustard in small bowl to blend. Season with salt and pepper. Combine watercress, avocado, and salmon in large bowl. Toss with enough dressing to coat.
- 7Arrange 2 latkes on each plate. Mound salad alongside.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Latkes With Watercress, Avocado and Smoked Salmon
Serving Size: 1 (290 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 362.5
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 35.6 mg
- Sodium 607.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 9.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sherry wine vinegar