Recipe by Alan in SW Florida
Latkes are potato pancakes fried in oil, symbolizing the miracle of Hanukkah. Enjoy potato latkes with family and friends during this holiday or any time of the year.
Ingredients for Potato Latkes
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled (1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- vegetable oil
Ingredients for Applesauce
- 12 rome apples, peeled, cored, and quartered (other varieties of sweet red apples may be substituted)
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 (2 inch) cinnamon sticks
Directions See How It's Made
- TO MAKE LATKES: Shred potatoes in a food processor; transfer to a bowl. Add water to cover; let stand 10 minutes. Drain and squeeze well; return potatoes to bowl.
- Stir together potato, eggs and next 4 ingredients until blended.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch into a large heavy skillet; heat over medium-high heat. Drop potato mixture by 1/4 cupfuls into hot oil; fry 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sour cream and Homemade Applesauce, if desired.
- TO MAKE APPLESAUCE: Bring all applesauce ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven; reduce heat and simmer, stirring once, 45 minutes. Drain; remove and discard cinnamon.
- Process apple mixture in a blender until smooth. Yield: 10 cups.