Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons matzo meal
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and shredded (4c.)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- In a large bowl, combine egg, meal, 1/8t.
- salt and a dash pepper.
- Rinse potatoes; pat dry with paper towels.
- Stir potatoes and onion into egg mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4c.
- cooking oil over med.
- For each latke, spoon about 2T.
- batter into the hot oil; spread to make a circle about 2 1/2" in diameter.
- Cook for about 2 1/2 minutes or until golden brown; turn and cook on the other side the same amount of time.
- Add more oil during the cooking as necessary.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with applesauce or sour cream.
- Makes approximately 32 latkes.
These were excellent! They were fairly quick to make, and they turned out fine when I replaced the matzo meal with flour. I'm going to make them again for Christmas! Thanks for a great recipe!
This was my 1st attempt at Latkes and they were gobbled up by my family. I was happy to use minimal oil rather than overloading on it. I didn't have matzo meal so just used flour. Topped with applesauce - yum!
The easiest Latkes ever! And, I did not need a lot of oil. They were not too greasy...I blot mine between layers of paper towels when I take them off the pan.