Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Traditional with applesauce, you can also make these cocktail size and serve with sour cream and a dollop of caviar.
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 medium onion
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 3 tablespoons plain matzo meal (or plain dried bread crumbs)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- kosher salt
- fresh ground white pepper
- canola oil
- applesauce or sour cream
- Alternately, grate potatoes and onion over a large bowl.
- Sprinkle mixture with salt; transfer to a sieve set over a bowl and squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the mixture, allowing liquid to collect in bowl. Transfer potato mixture to another bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Set reserved potato liquid aside to allow milky white starch to settle. Pour off liquid from starch. Transfer starch to potato mixture along with chives, matzo, eggs, and salt and pepper. Gently mix.
- Pour enough oil into a skillet to reach a depth of 1/4". Heat oil over medium-high heat. Working small batches, form mixture into balls, using about 1/4 cup of the mixture for each, and place them in the oil. Flatten each ball gently with a spatula to form 3"-4" pancakes. Fry, turning once until golden brown, crisp, and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Transfer pancakes to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Serve with applesauce or sour cream.