1/7 Photos of Potato Latkes
1 hr 20 mins
These are delicious served plain with a bit of salt sprinkled on them or traditionally with apple sauce or sour cream. Serving size is approximate. You may grate potatoes if you like, but we prefer them chopped.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut peeled potatoes into chunks and chop in food processor.
- 2Cut onions into chunks and chop in food processor.
- 3Mix potatoes and onions together in a colander over a large bowl.
- 4Allow to drain.
- 5Pour mixture into a large bowl and add beaten eggs, salt, pepper, baking powder, sugar, and a tablespoon of flour at-a-time until mixture holds together.
- 6Mix well.
- 7In a fry pan, melt shortening.
- 8You'll need about 1/8".
- 9Spoon heaping tablespoons of the mixture into the oil.
- 10Flatten each spoonful with the back of the spoon to make thin latkes.
- 11Fry until the edges turn a dark brown.
- 12Flip over to fry the other side.
- 13Drain on a paper towel.
- 14Serve with apple sauce and/or sour cream.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Latkes
Serving Size: 1 (411 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 318.3
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 62.0 mg
- Sodium 107.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 9.8 g