Potato Kugels are traditional Eastern European Jewish Fare. The directions here need to be followed in the exact order or you will risk the kugel coming out purple/brown . This kugel ( and many others) come out on the plain side because it doesnt have alot of spices. .Its best to you need to season the kugel before serving. This recipe is adapted to my cuisinart food processor. The grating on the processor is not like hand grated, in texture. So I pulse the whole thing at the end to make the kugel more uniform and "hand grated" in texture.
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2. Peel potatoes and put into a bowl of ice cold water. Make sure potatoes are covered.
- 3. Spray 9 x 9 inch glass pan with non-stick spray and set the pan aside.
- 4. Mix beaten eggs with oil, salt and pepper ( mix well).
- 5. Use Food processor grating disk and grate carrot. The put carrot into egg/oil mix.
- 6. Grate onion and put into egg/oil/carrot mix.
- 7. Remove potatoes from water -then grate all the potatoes. Drain the potatoes, in a mesh colander, of most of the liquid.
- 8. Immediately mix potatoes into egg/oil/carrot/onion mix. Add the matzoh meal and stir.
- 10. Put the whole mix back into the food processor ( mixing/chopping blade) and pulse untilt the mixture is smoother but still has texture. You only need to pulse a few times. Then pour the mix into the prepared pan. If the mix looks too watery add a little more matzoh meal. The mix should be on the thick side.
- 9. Bake at 350 for about 1 hour or until brown and the inside is cooked. Be careful not to overcook or else the kugel may get dry. But make sure the top is nicely browned and the Kugel is firm. Let it sit for a few minutes before cutting into squares.