Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
A delicious side dish that can be made ahead and reheated.
- 6 medium baking potatoes, peeled
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 large onion
- 2 tablespoons flour or 2 tablespoons matzo meal
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup chicken fat, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons chicken fat
- Grate the potatoes and onion, drain well.
- Combine in a bowl with eggs, flour, melted butter, salt, and pepper.
- Mix well. Place 2 tbsps. butter in a 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Melt in oven or microwave. Tilt dish to coat evenly. Pour potato mixture into dish and spread evenly.
- Bake at 400 degrees uncovered for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees and continue baking for 45 more minutes or until set and lightly browned.
Made this for dinner tonight - very simple and tasty. I only had purple potatoes on hand (as you can see from the photo), now I know what kugel is! Made for Kugelthon 2010