Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
tonights dinner. To stuff the casings, you will need a meat grinder with a sausage horn attachment. If you don't have such a device, use the mixture to make fried patties by shaping 1/4 cup of filling into a 1/2 inch thick patty and frying in hot oil until golden brown on both sides.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- 1 lb potato, parboiled and ground
- 1⁄2 cup onion, grated
- 6 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white pepper
- To prepare casings: Let casings soak in cool water about five minutes to remove salt on outer surface (no longer, or they will become too tender to stuff) and flush salt from the inside by placing one end on faucet nozzle and turn on cold tap water (if you see holes or water leaking, cut and discard).
- Remove casing from faucet and gently squeeze out water; cover rinsed casings and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Mix ingredients in order given (ground beef, ground pork, potatoes, onion, milk, allspice, salt and white pepper).
- Fill the casings make links by twisting the sausage where you wish the links to be (four inches is a good size for a regular serving, smaller links may be made for appetizer servings).
- To cook, bake in 350F oven 1 hour; remove from oven and brown.