Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry -- Meatballs are so hot right now so this is a Middle Eastern potato "meatball" in a beautiful, tasty and aromatic red curry sauce. It's glorious! I love to experiment with making meatball out of interesting ingredient combinations and the Simply Potato mashed potatoes were a perfect fit. The sweet potatoes can be subbed in also.
- 2 cups Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes
- 1 cup red lentil, cooked coarsely mashed
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin, minced
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno peppers, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1⁄4 cup mango chutney
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 bacon, slices browned crumbled
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, chopped packed in olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, diced
- 6 pita pockets, halved and warmed in 200 degree oven
- Prepare koftas by combining mashed potato and lentils with the raisins, egg, garlic, ginger, jalapeno, cumin, cilantro, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Using a small scoop or a tablespoon, form 1 inch balls and bake 1 inch apart non-stick baking sheet for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add curry paste. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring, or until aromatic. Add Marinara sauce, chutney, vinegar, bacon, and tomatoes. Heat until warmed through and simmering over low heat.
- Add the koftas to the curry sauce and gently coat the koftas.
- Assemble dish by filling each warm pita half with koftas and sauce and sprinkling with green onions before serving.