Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Official Contest Entry: Simply Potatoes 5Fix. This recipe is a twist on one of the greatest treats in the world! I changed things a bit by using flaky Phyllo dough and ricotta cheese to lighten the density of the traditional knish. But the potato-sour cream goodness is all there!
- 1 cup Simply Potatoes Sour Cream and Chive Mashed Potatoes (unheated)
- 4 ounces ricotta cheese or 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 12 sheets phyllo dough, thawed in fridge (9-inchx15-inch sheets)
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In bowl, mix together ricotta cheese with egg.
- Take out stack of phyllo dough. Cover with wax paper and then cover that with a wet towel to prevent dough from drying out as you work. Place a sheet of parchment paper over working space and brush thin layer of butter on parchment. Place one sheet of phyllo dough onto parchment and quickly brush with thin layer of butter. Repeat two times so that there are 3 sheets of dough on top of one another.
- Place 4 Tablespoons of mashed potatoes across one of the shorter ends of the phyllo sheet, leaving an inch space on each side of potatoes. Top the potatoes evenly with 2 Tablespoons of ricotta cheese mixture. Carefully roll the sheet, burrito style starting from the shorter end. Once the knish is halfway rolled, fold in the ends and continue to roll the knish, tucking the ends in as you roll. Once rolled, place knish seam side down onto a cookie sheet topped with parchment paper. Continue entire process 4 times, so you end up with 4 knishes.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Take our and brush each knish lightly with left over butter. Bake for another 5 minutes. Serve hot.