I've not tried this myself as I've posted it in response to a recipe request. It's from the What's Cooking - Potato cookbook. Kibbeh is a typical Middle eastern dish with many variations. The total preparation time is an estimate as it wasn't given in the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 175 g bulgur wheat
- 350 g floury mealy potatoes, mashed smoothly
- 2 small eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- 1 pinch ground coriander
- 1 pinch of grated nutmeg
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- oil (for deep frying)
- 1In a bowl cover the bulgar wheat with boiling water and leave to swell for 30 mins until all water is absorbed.
- 2mix the bulgar wheat with the mashed potatoes, egg, melted butter, cumin and coriander.
- 3Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 4For the stuffing fry the lamb in a little oil for about 5 minutes.
- 5Then add the onion and fry for another 3-4 minutes.
- 6Add pine kernels, apricots, nutmeg, cinnamon, corriander and lamb stock and cook until all the lamb stock has been absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- 7Set aside to cool a little.
- 8Divide into 8 portions and form into a ball.
- 9Also divide the potato mixture into 8 portions, roll in a ball and press flat.
- 10Place a ball of stuffing into the centre of each round of potato and cover it, by shaping the coating around the filling to surround it fully.
- 11Deep fry using either a deep fat fryer or large sauce pan for 5-7 minutes at a temperature of about 180-190 C/350-375°F.
- 12Drain well on a kitchen towel, best served straight away.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Kibbeh
Serving Size: 1 (908 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 171.1
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 62.7 mg
- Sodium 50.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 6.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: