Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
The idea from this came from another posted recipe here: Sausage Potato and Kale Soup. I wanted something healthy and hearty, and though this could be vegan, it's also really tasty as a non-vegan version. It's a filling meal on it's own.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb kale, diced small (2 small bunches)
- 1 lb yukon gold potato, diced 1/2 inch
- 1 (14 ounce) package bratwursts (such as Tofurky Beer Brats)
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable bouillon (better than bouillon brand is good)
- 1 teaspoon vegemite
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil for a few minutes until lightly browned in the bottom of a soup pot.
- Add vegan or meaty bratwurst, and saute about 3 minutes more.
- Add all veggies, water to cover, about 6 cups, and seasonings.
- Simmer on medium until potatoes are cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add cream and butter if using. Can also be served with avocado.