Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Thought about calling this Kiss the Cook soup, b/c after tasting hubby hugged me and told me how lucky he was to have me. LOL!! Whenever I have a huge amount of kale leftover, I freeze it raw -- chopped--in one quart zip locks for a different day and works great for my next batch of soup. Estimate that 4 cups of kale equals 4 ounces and that one sausage link equals 4 ounces.
- 631.69 ml kale
- 2 slice turkey bacon
- 189.09 g Italian sausage or 189.09 g ground turkey
- 78.07 ml onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large russet potatoes, unpeeled cubed
- 869.47 g sodium-free chicken stock
- 4.92 ml fennel seeds, crushed
- 0.83 ml black pepper
- 0.39 ml red pepper flakes
- 29.58 ml half-and-half (optional)
- Wash and dry kale.
- Microwave bacon until crisp, set aside until end.
- In Dutch oven, sauté sausage and onion until sausage is brown, remove grease.
- Add garlic, potatoes, stock, fennel, black pepper, and red pepper flakes, bring to low boil, cover, and cook until potatoes are done, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove ribs of kale and chop.
- Lower burner to low, remove with slotted spoon about 2 cups potatoes, roughly mash with fork, and stir back into pan.
- Stir in chopped kale, simmer about 4 minutes-- we like kale a bit chewy.
- Add half and half.
- Stir in crumbled bacon, serve.
- NOTE: If freezing, hold off on half and half, add later. You can also put hot soup into bowl and add a tablespoon at a time of the half and half to each bowl. Haven't tried yet in crockpot but assume it would work fine.
This is a delicious, comforting and satisfying soup! Loved the addition of the fennel seeds and the crushed red pepper flakes. I used sweet Italian turkey sausage and a little less than called for. Thanks for sharing a great recipe!
Aussie Swap#84: Delicious! This soup reminds me of the one at Olive Garden! We loved this soup - even my 11 year old loved it (I got to eat her kale though). Delish and easy to make - perfect for the super cold days we have been having!