1/2 Photos of Potato Kale Soup
Thought about calling this Kiss the Cook soup, b/c after tasting hubby hugged me and told me how lucky he was to have me. LOL!! Whenever I have a huge amount of kale leftover, I freeze it raw -- chopped--in one quart zip locks for a different day and works great for my next batch of soup. Estimate that 4 cups of kale equals 4 ounces and that one sausage link equals 4 ounces.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups kale
- 3 slices bacon
- 12 ounces Italian sausage, ground
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 large russet potatoes, unpeeled cubed
- 46 ounces chicken stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1Wash and dry kale.
- 2Microwave bacon until crisp, set aside until end.
- 3In Dutch oven, sauté sausage and onion until sausage is brown, remove grease.
- 4Add garlic, potatoes, stock, fennel, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes, bring to low boil, cover, and cook until potatoes are done, about 20 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, remove ribs of kale and chop.
- 6Lower burner to low, remove with slotted spoon about 2 cups potatoes, roughly mash with fork, and stir back into pan.
- 7Stir in chopped kale, simmer about 4 minutes-- we like kale a bit chewy.
- 8Add half and half.
- 9Stir in crumbled bacon, serve.
- 10NOTE: If freezing, hold off on half and half, add later. You can also put hot soup into bowl and add a tablespoon at a time of the half and half to each bowl. Haven't tried yet in crockpot but assume it would work fine.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Kale Soup
Serving Size: 1 (654 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 570.8
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 44.3 mg
- Sodium 1167.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 25.0 g