Based on a favorite soup. As a casserole, it is easier to transport or bring to lunch at the office. Casseroles are a comfort food for me, but most serve 8 or more. This recipe is for two, but can easily be multiplied for a crowd.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 450 degrees F.
- 2In a dutch oven, combine the potatoes with enough water to cover them by 2 inches, bring the water to a boil, and boil the potatoes for 15 minutes, or until they are tender.
- 3Transfer the potatoes with a slotted spoon to a colander, reserving the cooking liquid, and force them through a ricer into a bowl. (or mash until smooth with no chunks).
- 4Add the butter, 1/4 cup of broth, the vinegar, and salt and pepper, to taste, and combine the mixture well.
- 5Bring the reserved cooking liquid to a boil. Coursely chop the kale leaves, add to water, and boil it for 10 minutes, or until it is crisp-tender.
- 6Drain the kale in the colander, refresh it under cold water, and press out the excess water.
- 7Stir the kale and 1/2 cup of the Swiss into the potato mixture and spread the mixture in a buttered casserole dish.
- 8In a large skillet brown the kielbasa over moderate heat and transfer it to a bowl with the slotted spoon.
- 9In the fat remaining in the skillet cook the onions over moderate heat, stirring, until they are golden. Stir them into the kielbasa.
- 10Scatter the kielbasa mixture on top of the potato mixture, sprinkle it with the remaining Swiss, and pour the remaining 1/4 cup broth on top.
- 11NOTE: The casserole may be prepared up to this point 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled.
- 12Bake the casserole until heated through, about 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato, Kale, and Kielbasa Casserole for Two
Serving Size: 1 (563 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 629.8
- Calories from Fat 283
- Total Fat 31.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 104.7 mg
- Sodium 1224.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 30.6 g