Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Learned to made these back in Home Ec, the early '50s. I find it easier to refrigerate the mixture for about a half hour before shaping into balls and a small cookie scoop makes quick work of shaping the mixture into balls.
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (no butter, no cream)
- 2 cups chopped ham
- 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 1⁄2 cups corn flakes, crushed
- Mix all the ingredients together except cornflakes. Roll in 1 inch balls. Roll in the crushed cornflakes. Place on greased cookie sheets and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Makes 8 dozen appetizer-size potato balls. You can also form these in large patties, roll in cornflakes and bake until lightly browned as a side to your entree.
LOVE the simplicity! This recipe was "Really Yummy" as told to me, DOH! I used Krummies (wholemeal) as did not look, TRUE! Can also skip real potatoes, do instant mash too! DEFINATELY will be making these again, Hubby has already asked, "WHEN?" Thanks!
This was a great way to enjoy potatoes as a different side dish. I had to make a substitution because I didn't have cornflakes- I used crushed rice crispies cereal and added 1/2 pack of ranch dressing mix to the crushed cereal. Thank you for posting this recipe- I will definitely make these again!