Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Any vegetable or meat can be added to this versatile soup.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 236.59 ml green chili, chopped
- 1419.54 ml vegetable broth
- 946.36 ml yellow hominy, canned,rinsed and drained
- 59.14 ml cilantro, chopped
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized pot, and saute onion and garlic for 3 minutes.
- Add the cumin, stir well, then add the potatoes and green chilies.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, another 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and hominy.
- Simmer the soup, covered, over low heat for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and serve hot.
This was excellent the way it was written, and with small changes. The first time I made it, I ate almost the entire pot. The second time I made it (which was the next day), my husband ate almost the entire pot. really wonderful addition to our group of staple recipes.
My family loves this soup! I made it twice in two weeks and just realized I hadn't reviewed it yet. Thanks for a great recipe!!! The only thing I do differently is I add some hot sauce to it.
Thanks Mercy for the recipe. All I had was 2 cups of hominy, so used that along with ground beef since the recipe stated any meet could be used and it was great. The soup is actually very similar to a mexican soup I've been looking for, for a long time now. The hominy replaced the corn tortillas which we usually eat with this type of soup. I did use about 1/2 cup of cilantro for a stronger taste. Thanks again