Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found this in a recipe box that my mother buys at garage sales. Have not tried it yet, but it sounds good and want to post here so I don't lose it. That and the paper it is written on is very thin and fading. Simple basic meal of potatoes and meat, enjoy.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- salt and pepper
- 6 large potatoes
- 1 cup whole milk
- Brown ground beef and drain off fat, if any.
- Add onions and garlic to ground beef, saute until translucent.
- Add cream of chicken soup to ground beef/onions/garlic and stir to mix.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Peel and slice potatoes 1/4 inch thick.
- In a greased casserole dish, layer 3 of the potatoes.
- Layer hot ground beef mix over the top.
- Topping with the last 3 potatoes.
- Heat milk in pan that you used to cook the ground beef.
- Pour heated milk over casserole. Hopefully 1 cup will work as directions say to experiment, poke potatoes during cooking and add more if necessary.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Removing foil last 20 minutes of baking to brown potatoes on top.
We totally loved this dish! Usually use FF half and half instead of milk but was out of that too so had to use heavy cream. Used 7 small red potatoes and since red skins are soft, didn't have to peel. I microwaved the potato slices, before layering, for two minutes to make sure they would be soft enough when done. Layered all as directed in a 9x13 glass dish and cooked covered with foil for 50 minutes and uncovered for 20 more minutes. There's no oven temp mentioned so I went with the old stand-by of if in doubt go with 350 degrees and it worked great! Barely got 4 servings...
mmm, this was very good!! I used fat-free milk and substituted cheddar cheese soup for the cream of chicken. Also, once it was in the casserole dish, I cooked it in the microwave for 15 minutes and it came out perfect. Obviously, this didn't brown the potatoes, but nobody was complaining! Its a keeper!