Recipe by :)Shirl(:
Found this in a recipe box that my mother buys at garage sales. Have not tried it yet, but it sounds good and want to post here so I don't lose it. That and the paper it is written on is very thin and fading. Simple basic meal of potatoes and meat, enjoy.
Top Review by Little_Sister
We totally loved this dish! Usually use FF half and half instead of milk but was out of that too so had to use heavy cream. Used 7 small red potatoes and since red skins are soft, didn't have to peel. I microwaved the potato slices, before layering, for two minutes to make sure they would be soft enough when done. Layered all as directed in a 9x13 glass dish and cooked covered with foil for 50 minutes and uncovered for 20 more minutes. There's no oven temp mentioned so I went with the old stand-by of if in doubt go with 350 degrees and it worked great! Barely got 4 servings...
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- salt and pepper
- 6 large potatoes
- 1 cup whole milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef and drain off fat, if any.
- Add onions and garlic to ground beef, saute until translucent.
- Add cream of chicken soup to ground beef/onions/garlic and stir to mix.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Peel and slice potatoes 1/4 inch thick.
- In a greased casserole dish, layer 3 of the potatoes.
- Layer hot ground beef mix over the top.
- Topping with the last 3 potatoes.
- Heat milk in pan that you used to cook the ground beef.
- Pour heated milk over casserole. Hopefully 1 cup will work as directions say to experiment, poke potatoes during cooking and add more if necessary.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Removing foil last 20 minutes of baking to brown potatoes on top.