Recipe by Rita~
This creamy, chunky, cheesy, smoky, spicy soup will warm up anyone on a cold night! Total Comfort food! "Will soothe any soul"! I used roasted garlic but fresh will be great too. Take note I used no salt because I found the ham did it job. You're welcome to season as you wish.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 meaty smoked ham bone
- 2 cups diced onions
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup diced bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons roasted garlic or 3 minced fresh garlic cloves
- 4 cups diced potatoes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, seeded and diced
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- diced ham, from bone
- fresh parsley
- shredded cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy bottom pot, heat oil add bone,onions,celery, and pepper sautee 5 minutes.
- Add garlic,potatoes, sauce,chipotle,water and milk bring to boil then lower heat to simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes till potatoes are tender.
- Remove ham and cool when cool enough to handle dice meat set aside.
- Remove 1-2 cups soup and place in blender with flour and blend till smooth. Return to pot with the cheese. Cook 5 minute and stir till melted.
- Garnish with diced ham, parsley and or cheese. Top with a few grinds of fresh pepper.