Prep 10 mins
Cook 36 mins
This one has meat and potatoes for them hard working guys. It's so easy to do and so yummy. My mom made this when I was growing up...needless to say there were never any left overs.
- 4 -5 lbs potatoes yukon gold potatoes
- cooked ham, cubes or a small ham
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped real small
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 -5 slices American cheese
- 3 slices American cheese
- Clean and peel potatoes, you can leave the skins on too if you like.
- Chop into 1 to 2 inch cubes.
- Boil potatoes for 5 minute or until nice and soft.
- Cube the ham if not bought cubed. Drain potatoes.
- Put the ham and cooked potatoes and onion in a big bowl, set aside.
- In a saucepan heat the 1 1/4 cup of milk. You might want to make it a full 2 cups of your using a 4 quart casserole dish.
- Take the other 1/4 cup of milk and add the cornstarch to it, stir until smooth.
- Bring the milk in the saucepan to a low boil and slowly add the cornstarch mixture to it. The mix will begin to thicken.
- Add the 4-5 slices of American cheese in strips. Keep stirring until thick and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Add the sauce mixture to potatoes and ham and stir together.
- Get a 4-quart or two 3-quart casserole dishes. Spray with Pam spray and pour mixture in .
- Top casserole dish with extra cheese slices.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. DO NOT COVER. After baking let cool for 5 minutes.